The lapidarium in the museum park was established shortly after the opening of the Municipal Museum in Bolesławiec in 1911. At the back of the building at today’s 13 Mickiewicza St, a part of the municipal park with the remains of medieval town walls was separated. Against their background, stonemasonry works brought from various places in Bolesławiec and its surroundings began to be set up. Due to the missing pre-war register of museum objects, we do not possess accurate data as to their quantity and type, but it is known that as early as 1920, they formed a type of outdoor exhibition. The collection included figural sculptures, architectural elements as well as tombstones and epitaph plaques. Not all monuments deposited in the pre-war period have survived to our times. The few that have been preserved are currently among the most interesting monuments in the collection of the present Museum of Ceramics. They include a late-Baroque baptismal font, a stone coat of arms of the von Frankenberg-Schellendorf family, a column from a late-Romanesque church, and a fragment of Michael Appel’s tombstone, the Bolesławiec pharmacist who died in 1663. In 1929, an entrance was cut out in the defensive wall separating the plot from the south to frame it with a late-Baroque portal, taken from Brunun Ulbrich’s tenement house at 14 Zollstrasse (today: Prusa St).
After World War II, the museum was reopened in 1953. Since then, the lapidarium collection has been expanded with new objects. Most of them are epitaph plaques and tombstones from the Protestant cemetery at Garncarska St and the cemetery at Ptasia St. There are also other unusual monuments, such as the 15th-century conciliation cross, previously located in Kruszyn, or a commemorative stone founded in 1905 to commemorate the centenary of the poet Friedrich Schiller’s death, originally located at Gen. Augusta Emila Fieldorfa „Nila” St.