Currently, the Museum of Ceramics in Bolesławiec comprises two departments – the Ceramics Department at ul. Mickiewicza 13 and the City History Department at ul. Kutuzowa 14.
Originally, the building at Mickiewicza St housed the Municipal Museum founded in 1908 and opened to visitors in 1911. The First World War caused a break in its activity. After reopening in 1920, the institution was supervised by Artur Schiller, co-founder of the Upper Silesian Museum in Gliwice. After World War II, according to a report of 1946, the Bolesławiec Municipal Museum “practically did not exist”. However, the institution was not liquidated and as early as 1950 it started to work. That year, all museums throughout the country were nationalised and put under control of the Central Board of Museums and Monument Protection at the Ministry of Culture and Art, while the Silesian Museum in Wrocław was entrusted with direct scientific and administrative supervision over the Silesian museums. The building was renovated in 1952-1953. The opening of the reorganised Museum took place on 27 December 1953. Objects for the new exhibition were sourced from the collections of the Silesian Museum and the Artistic Ceramics Works in Bolesławiec. In cooperation with the Wrocław museum, three permanent exhibitions were prepared: an archaeological one, illustrating the oldest history of Silesia; one on folk art of Bolesławiec region; and one on ceramics, including production techniques. A few years later, due to the damp walls, it was decided to close the institution from 1 October 1961. Renovation works began only in mid-1966. After the renovation, the official opening of the Bolesławiec Regional Museum took place on 17 June 1967. The Silesian Museum in Wrocław and its director Maria Starzewska, PhD again helped to arrange the exhibition. The Museum’s furnishings were designed by and produced under the direction of Władysław Garnik, an artist and ceramist from Wrocław.
Budynek muzeum przed rokiem 1918
In 1968, M. Starzewska inspired the institution to change its name to the Museum of Ceramics in Bolesławiec, and the collection profile was clearly defined. According to the Museum Statute of 9 December 1968, the institution’s task was to collect materials on the Bolesławiec city’s and land’s history and the Bolesławiec ceramics history as well as to collect contemporary ceramic sculptures made by artists taking part in the Bolesławiec ceramic symposia.
Further general renovations of the building took place only in 2009 and 2013-2014, and a new permanent exhibition was arranged and opened to visitors in 2010.
The second building of the Bolesławiec museum, at ul. Kutuzowa 14, which currently houses the City History Department, was taken over in 1991. Before, it housed the Kutuzow Museum administered by the Russians. The City History Department was opened on 17 June 1995 after a several-year renovation. Initially, temporary exhibitions on selected topics from the city’s history were presented here. The building underwent further renovations in 2008-2011. In August 2009, a permanent exhibition dedicated to the history of Bolesławiec was opened.
– Włodzimierz Kaczmarek (1953-1954)
– Alicja Krępowa / później Szurmińska-Krępowa (1955)
– Róża Larkowska (1956-1961)
– Krystyna Kutschenreiter / później Paluch-Staszkiel (1967-1970)
– Teresa Wolanin (1971-2001)
– Anna Bober / później Bober-Tubaj (od 2002)