ul. Zgorzelecka 19
In the 1830s or 1840s, Engelhardt Gansel built a house for himself at 19 Zgorzelecka St in the so-called Italian villa style, typical of Berlin architecture. Until World War II, next generations of builders and architects of the Gansel family lived here. In the cellar, an alchemical laboratory was established, as Gansel belonged to the Bolesławiec Masonic lodge “Under the Golden Chain”, which he co-founded (1849). Later, Gansel’s sons arranged a “museum hall in miniature” and a small cafe in this place. The Gansels’ collection included two valuable sculptures by Weber, interesting architectonic details, bas-reliefs and a set of coins. The latter was hidden during World War II and accidentally found during a renovation in 1987.