ul. Zgorzelecka 1
In this place, on the road leading to the city from Zgorzelec, the Lower Gate, also called Customs Gate, was located. The gate was decorated with St John of Nepomuk and St Joseph statues, which after its demolishing were transferred to near the Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary and St Nicholas. Until recently, a relic of the building, a huge sandstone sphere that once was a part of the gate’s decoration lied here. In 1868, during the promenade development, salt warehouses located to the north and south of the gate were also demolished. According to chronicles, the southern warehouse site was earlier occupied by one of the oldest churches in Bolesławiec – the Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary whose construction in 1196 is attributed to Duke Bolesław the Tall. Today, a sports hall built in 1879 as the first facility of this type in the city stands here.