The monument to the Russian Field Marshal Mikhail Kutuzov was erected in 1819 by order of King Frederick William III. Originally, it stood in Market Square. It was moved to the promenade in 1893. The monument is a work of two outstanding artists of the Classicism era, Karl Friedrich Schinkel and Johann Gottfried Schadow. Made of cast iron, it has an impressive size (12.24 metres high) and weighs 30 tons. It is designed as an obelisk with two pairs of lions at the foot, originally facing the east and west. The simplicity of the forms used, taken from Egyptian art, and a selection of commonly understood allegorical figures make it easier to read the monument’s symbolic meaning – the memory of Mikhail Kutuzov’s courage resists the fading and passing of time.