The monument was erected in the place where Mikhail Kutuzov had to stop in his pursuit of Napoleon and turn back due to an illness. The monument, founded by the daughter of M. Kutuzov and count von Osten, is a work by stonemason J.M. Böhm the Younger. Its unveiling took place on 27 August 1814. The monument – in the form of a broken column reflecting the suddenly terminated life crowned with a wreath of oak leaves – housed a small tin coffin with the marshal’s entrails. On the pedestal, an inscription was engraved: “Prince Kutuzov of Smolensk fell into eternal sleep on 28 April 1813”. After World War II a military cemetery of the 7th Guards Tank Corps and 31th Infantry Division of the 1st Ukrainian Front was established around the monument.