Originally, the Bolesławiec castle was located on this site. The castle was destroyed by the Swedes in the Thirty Years’ War (1618-1648). An evangelical church was built in its place in 1752-1756 (today: Catholic Church of Our Lady of Perpetual Help). The baroque temple erected on a rectangular plan received a simple regular body and modest decoration. Two levels of galleries surround the sole-hall interior. Near the south façade, a small pavilion was built in 1778, transformed in 2010 into a chapel named after St Maria De Mattias – the patroness saint of Bolesławiec.
In 1834-1835, a tower was added to the church. It was built after Engelhard Gansel’s design. The 73-m-high bell tower was one of the first buildings in the city representing the neo-Gothic style.
In subsequent years, the church underwent further architectural modifications. The most important was the remodelling of 1906, conducted after the design of a famous modernist architect, Hans Poelzig. After World War II, the temple was again canonically erected in 1970 and its current furnishings come mainly from that time.