During World War II, mainly as a result of arson by Soviet soldiers stationed in the city, a significant part of the city buildings was destroyed, while some of them had to be demolished due to poor technical condition. The present appearance of tenements in Market Square is a result of reconstruction carried out in 1955–1960 after the plans of two Wrocław architects: K. Maciejewski and F. Skomorowski. Only buildings No 6 and 28 have been preserved in the pre-war condition.
Tenement No 6
Probably in this house, on 18 November 1611, famous poet Andreas Tscherning was born. The representative baroque building is called the Tscherning House because the heraldic cartouche located above the portal is attributed to this well-known family. The representative nature of the building erected on two combined plots is emphasized by the so-called great order design applied on the façade (pilasters reaching the second floor) and decorative sculptures, including allegorical representations of weaving and fertility on the portal.
Tenement No 28
At present, the ground floor houses a bookstore – this corresponds to the previous function of the building. This house is a birthplace of the famous explorer and traveller K.F. Appun and when it still had a baroque design, a bookstore and the Appun’s publishing house were located here for many years. The tenement received its current form in 1902, becoming one of the most elegant and most modern department stores in the city. The elevations were re-designed after the then-prevailing fashion for historicizing styles with the use of neo-Gothic and neo-Renaissance elements.
Tenement No 29
Currently, there it hosts the restaurant “Pod Złotym Aniołem” (Under the Golden Angel) located there – one of the three legendary Bolesławiec inns. Until this day, its façade features a rococo bas-relief depicting an angel with the carved date 1776, placed above a gothic portal.
Tenement No 36
It hosts the restaurant „Oleńka na Starówce”. On its façade, bas-reliefs in the form of three wreaths are placed, which is to correspond to the restaurant “Pod Trzema Wieńcami” (Under the Three Wreaths) that existed here before WWII
Noteworthy is also the Piastowska Gate – an archway leading towards Kutuzowa Street. On both sides, sizeable discs made by M. Żołądź are placed, which represent the old seals of Silesian princes.