The monument by the Berlin sculptor Peter Breuer was founded in 1902 by the Emperor and the Prussian Ministry of Culture to celebrate the 150th anniversary of the Royal Orphanage, an educational centre well-known in Silesia, where a printing house and teacher’s college were located (today this is a building complex at Bankowa St). The statue is made of a block of snow-white, fine-grained marble. The stone block was selected by the artist personally in the Italian town of Carrara, a place where the most famous sculptural material, preferred by Michelangelo, among others, has been quarried for centuries. The sculptor also chose a place for the monument – in the courtyard of the so-called “Old House” built in 1755-1764 and belonging to the Royal Orphanage complex. After World War II, in the 1960s, the monument was moved to the municipal cemetery at Śluzowa St, and in 1998 to Zamkowy Square.