ul. M. Brody 17
One of the most significant buildings erected in the 2nd half of the 19th century in the elegant southern district was the Masonic lodge. The Bolesławiec Masonic lodge „Under the Golden Chain” was founded in 1849 by 15 members representing the economic and cultural elites of the city. In the following years, the number of Masons increased, which necessitated the construction of a new, representative seat. An impressive building at M. Brody St, designed by E. Hotop, was built by C. Till in 1885. The lodge is an example of a building in the Northern Renaissance style, with contrasting surfaces of red brick façades and rich architectonic details of bright stone. Originally, the lodge building was topped with a balustrade and covered with a flat roof. The present steep roof was added as a result of remodelling, most probably in the 1930s.
In March 1933, German authorities declared the activity of Masonic lodges illegal, so the Bolesławiec lodge was closed, and the building became the headquarters of a Nazi youth organisation.