Izabela Zdrzałka as born in Załuż (Tarnopol Oblast, now Ukraine), She finished primary school, gymnasium and secondary school in Zbaraż. From 1939 to 1945 she worked in the local hospital. After the end of the war, she settled down with her family in Świebodzice near Wałbrzych.In 1946, she began her studies at the State Higher School of Visual Arts in Wrocław, where she obtained her diploma in the atelier of Mieczysław Pawełka in 1952. While still a student, she was employed at the Work Co-operative of Folk and Artistic Industry in Bolesławiec (currently “Ceramika Artystyczna” Spółdzielnia Rękodzieła Artystycznego), where she was entrusted with the supervision of the emerging paint shop. After completing her studies, she took up the newly created post of artistic director, which she held until 1958.
During this time she worked simultaneously as a mould designer, decorator and technologist. She put into production dozens of original vessels with asymmetrical shapes and soft lines. She developed recipes for coloured engobes, enamels and several coloured feldspar glazes (shades of brown, green and blue) and artistic reduction and crystalline glazes. She used a variety of decorative techniques: under-glaze stamping (using sponge and rubber stamps), enamels on earthenware and coloured glazes (using a cone, later a pear) and sgraffito (ornaments engraved on coloured engobes). Based on these techniques, she designed dozens of decorations that harmoniously emphasised the tectonic nature of the vessel. Initially she used motifs taken from folk art and the Bolesławiec tradition, creating painted and engraved genre scenes. Over time, she abandoned these in favour of abstract decorations in coloured glazes, referring to the style of the applied arts of the time.
In 1958, she left for the private Zakład Ceramiki Szlachetnej ‘Puchalski i S-ka’, where, until 1972, she was also involved in designing vessels, developing new glazes and supervising production. In addition, in the years 1960-1977 she taught drawing and technical drawing in secondary schools in Bolesławiec. After retiring, she designed individual moulds for various manufacturers.
In addition to her professional work, she also created unique ceramics, using the facilities of “Ceramika Artystyczna” and Eugeniusz Niemirowski’s factory in Parzyce. In 1966, she became a member of the Association of Polish Artists. The artist’s works can be found in the Museum of Ceramics in Bolesławiec and the National Museum in Wrocław.
This post from the series “Bolesławiec artistic community” was prepared within the framework of the project “Bolesławiec – 30 years of local government” carried out by the Museum of Ceramics and the Bolesławiec Cultural Centre – International Ceramics Centre.
1955 Wrocław International Press and Book Club
1962 Club of the Wrocław Association of Polish Teachers
1997 Museum of Ceramics, Bolesławiec
1952 “Polish Ceramics 1900-1952″, Silesian Museum, Wrocław
Annual District Art Exhibition, Silesian Museum, Wrocław
1953 Annual 1st May Regional Art Exhibition, Silesian Museum, Wrocław
9th Winter Exhibition of Fine Art, Radom
1st National Exhibition of Ceramics and Artistic Glass, Silesian Museum, Wrocław
1955 “Bolesławiec Stoneware 1945-1955″, Silesian Museum, Wrocław
“The Best Souvenir of Cooperative Production”, Warsaw
1962 The Best Souvenir of Cooperative Production”, Warsaw
Third Exhibition of Interior Design of the Wrocław District, Wrocław
1957 National Exhibition of Interior Design, Central Office of Artistic Exhibitions, Warsaw
Annual District Exhibition of Plastic, BWA, Wrocław
1958 District Exhibition of Interior Design and Graphics, BWA, Wrocław
1959 Exhibition of Visual Arts of the Nadodrzańskie Lands, Central Art Exhibition Office, Warsaw
1960 “Artists in Industry”, Central Bureau of Artistic Exhibitions, Warsaw
Second National Exhibition of Ceramics and Artistic Glass, Silesian Museum, Wrocław
District Exhibition of Ceramics and Artistic Glass, Silesian Museum, Wrocław
1962 Third Exhibition of Interior Design of the Wrocław Circle, Wrocław
“Boleslawiec Stoneware in the Creation of Ceramic Artists”, Silesian Museum, Wrocław
1963–1964 Exhibition accompanying the “Spring of Boleslawiec”, Boleslawiec
1965 “Artists in Industry”, BWA, Wrocław
1979 1st National Exhibition of Artistic Ceramics in Walbrzych-Książek
“Bolesławiec Stoneware” Museum of Ceramics, Bolesławiec
1984 “Bolesławiecka Stoneware”, BWA, Poznań
1989 “Bolesławiec Stoneware Yesterday and Today”, Środa Śląska, Warsaw
“Bolesławiecka stoneware of the eighteenth and twentieth centuries”, National Museum, Wrocław
1992 “Selected Collections of Artistic Ceramics”, Museum of Ceramics, Bolesławiec
2020 “Artists of the Bolesławiec Area”, Museum of Ceramics, Bolesławiec
1954 Prize of the Minister of Culture and Art in the souvenir competition, Gdansk
1955 Award of the Minister of Culture and Art for a set of works presented at the exhibition “Bolesławiec Stoneware 1945-1955”.
1956 Award in the competition for a souvenir accompanying the XXV International Poznań Fair
1959 Award of the Minister of Culture and Art for lifetime achievement