Bronisław Romanowski was born in Utoropy near Stanisławów (now Ukraine, Ivano-Frankivsk Oblast). During World War II, he fought in the ranks of the 1st Polish Army. In 1970 he was awarded the medal “For participation in the battles for Berlin”. After the war, he settled in Bolesławiec. In 1950 he was part of the team tasked with starting up the Julius Paul und Sohn ceramics factory on Polna Street, which was taken over by the Central People’s and Artistic Industry, operating from 1954 as the People’s and Artistic Industry Work Cooperative, and from 1963 to the present day as the “Ceramika Artystyczna” Handicraft Cooperative. Apart from a break in the years 1954-1958, he was associated with the factory until his retirement in 1974. He went down in the history of Bolesławiec ceramics as a creator of unique figurines of people, animals and devils, as well as genre scenes representing typical folk art. Some of these were put into mass production at the end of the 1960s and were very popular with buyers.
B. Romanowski’s ability to work in clay and his love of this material came from his family home. Romanowski picked up from his family home, where there was a strong pottery tradition. His grandmother and mother made pottery used in the household. In order to expand his knowledge, B. Romanowski also visited local potters. He would often travel up to 20 km on foot to learn something new. This passion never died out in him. Even after his retirement, he visited his workshop many times and continued to create distinctive figurines. This led to a collection, part of which is on permanent display at the Museum of Ceramics in Bolesławiec.
The artist’s works are in the collections of the Museum of Ceramics in Bolesławiec and the Ethnographic Museum – National Museum in Wrocław.
We invite you to watch a film about Bronisław Romanowski, prepared by Television Bolesławiec.
This post from the series “Bolesławiec artistic community” was prepared within the framework of the project “Bolesławiec – 30 years of local government” carried out by the Museum of Ceramics and the Bolesławiec Cultural Centre – International Ceramics Centre.